Previous News


Studying and working in Spain as a British national

Added by Berlad Graham
August 25, 2022

Share this Post

It is still possible to study in Spain post Brexit as a British national, but a visa or authorisation is required for stays over 90 days.  For those who wish to enrol on a course for more than 90 days there are two main routes which are either to apply for a visa at the corresponding Spanish consulate in the UK or within Spain.

Prior to applying for authorisation for a stay of more than 90 days the following documentation is required:

  1. Admission letter from a centre of education authorised in Spain.
  2. Proof of financial means to cover the length of stay in Spain which is about 600€ per month.
  3. Health Insurance.
  4. If the stay is 180 days or more a health certificate stating that there is no risk to public health from infectious diseases and a criminal records check are required.

Permission can be sought for those who wish to work whilst studying in Spain.  As a non-EU student, it is possible to combine a working week of a maximum of 20 hours with the course of study. This is subject to it being related and compatible with the studies and the employer is required to obtain prior authorisation.

For those British nationals studying Spanish who wish to attend a language school in Spain they can take advantage of this type of visa or authorisation.  The school would need to be a recognised centre of education and be accredited by the Institute of Cervantes.   The type of work whilst studying that could be carried out is wide ranging and could include anything that would allow the student to practice Spanish.

Students can also bring family members with them to Spain, but this application cannot be made inside Spain and a visa must be applied for at the corresponding Spanish consulate in the UK.

It is advisable to seek the advice of an immigration lawyer based in Spain to assist in choosing the correct route and the type of student visa required.

If you have any further questions in relation to this article, please contact Victoria Westhead, Consultant Solicitor (based in Spain), on 0330 175 5655.