For employees, or employers defending a claim
How much will the work cost?
We usually charge an hourly rate for our legal services in Employment tribunal disputes. The hourly rates of your legal representative and those working on your matter will be provided to you at the outset of your instruction. Our current hourly rates are set out below and are subject to VAT.
|Partner / Senior Consultant||£350 – 425 per hour|
|Consultant||£250 – 300 per hour|
|Junior Consultant||£200 – 250 per hour|
|Paralegal||£150 per hour|
The level of our fees would be directly calculated by reference to the number of hours of work we have to undertake and the complexity of the claim. By way of guidance, we set out the average range of our fees in such claims below:
- Low complexity case: £2,000 – £5,000 + VAT
- Medium complexity case: £5,000 – £20,000 + VAT
- High complexity case: £20,000 – £30,000 + VAT
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- Size of the employer and structure
- Length of tribunal hearing that is required
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications which are not part of the standard procedure
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination.
- Allegations of suffering a detriment as a whistle-bower.
What are disbursements?
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees, experts fees and counsel’s fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Which disbursements may apply to your matter?
Counsel’s fees for attendance at the tribunal hearing – the specific fee will depend on the complexity of your case and the length of your hearing. Counsel’s fees are estimated between £1,000 to £2,500 per day + VAT (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
What we will do for you – key stages
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation, where applicable, to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing for and attending a without prejudice Judicial Mediation or Judicial Adjudication Hearing.
- Preparing or considering a schedule of damages
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
What the fees do not include
- Copying fees for any bundles that may be required for any hearing
- Expert witness fees, if applicable
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved and on the complexity of your case. On average, an employment tribunal claim usually takes between 6 to 18 months to conclude. We endeavour to update you on the process and the time scales throughout your matter.