Previous News


New system introduced for British Nationals applying for residency in Spain

Added by Berlad Graham
August 11, 2020

Share this Post

At the beginning of July the Spanish government introduced a new system for residency applications for British nationals. This application involves a 2 stage procedure for those applying for residency for the first time.  This new system applies the Withdrawal Agreement, which entered into force when the UK left the European Union on 31st January 2020.

The first stage requires an application to be made at the central Foreigner’s Office based in the province where the British National resides. This application can be made in person and also digitally either via the use of an electronic signature or via a lawyer or assessor. The documents to support the application are also lodged online.  As the rules to be applied are in line with those of EU Citizens whilst we are still within the transition period, then for those applying for non lucrative residencies the financial requirements have not changed which is around €6,000 per applicant. Documentation such as bank statements going back for 6 months should be submitted showing an average balance of about 6,000€; private health insurance certificate or for state pensioners S1 form.  Apart from the S1 form all documentation in English should be officially translated into Spanish. Further documentation proving you are residing in Spain should be submitted this includes; your padron certificate from the town hall where you live; further prove of continuance residence, such as utility bills, medical appointments, etc. This documentation is submitted along with the relevant forms and fee paid and a complete copy of your passport.  

Once a favourable decision is obtained for the residency application the next stage is to apply for your card which is a TIE card or foreigner’s identity card (Tarjeta de Identidad Extranjero). This second stage involves making an appointment online at your nearest national police station. Those already with a green residence card or document can also apply at this stage to exchange their old document should they wish to do so. It is not mandatory for those in possession of an old residence card to exchange it for a new TIE one. Once an appointment is made then you attend at the police station with the application form and fee paid and with your passport to prove your ID. You will also need to present the favourable decision from the foreigner’s office if you are applying for the first time. You will be required to provide your fingerprints and you will also need to provide a passport photograph. The cards will not be available immediately and you will need to wait about 3 weeks for them to be ready for collection at the police station. The cards issued have a duration of 5 years, after which they will need to be renewed and for those with permanent residency 10 years.

If you are thinking about moving to Spain you will still be able to do so until the end of the transition period and you will need to follow the steps described above to obtain your residency in Spain. If you require further information, please contact Victoria Westhead via Raanan Berlad at