Sign up to our 175 5655

Money Laundering

Identity documents

Clients Resident in the United Kingdom

You will need to provide evidence of your true full name and your current permanent address including the post code.

Evidence of your personal identity can be proved by:

  • Current signed passport
  • EU member state identity card
  • Residence Permit issued by the Home Office together with own country’s passport
  • Current EU or UK photocard driving licence
  • Armed Forces ID card
  • Current full UK driving licence (old version)
  • In exceptional circumstances, if none of the above are available a Birth Certificate or Inland Revenue tax notification will suffice

Evidence of your address can be provided by the following

  • Confirmation from the Electoral Register
  • Recent utility bill or bank statement or mortgage statement with your current address (preferably not more than three months old)
  • Local Authority rates bill for the current year
  • Current UK driving licence (but only if not used as evidence of ID)
  • Local Council rent card or tenancy agreement

You will need to produce these documents when you attend our offices for your first face-to-face meeting with a solicitor. If for any reason you are unable to attend a face-to-face meeting, then the following additional evidence is required:

  1. A certified copy of either a passport or new style photocard driving licence or EU identity card provided by a solicitor who has had a face-to-face meeting with you and confirms that the photograph is of you; and
  2. An original document giving evidence of your address

Clients Resident in the EU

The requirements for producing documents are as for UK clients. In the event that you are unable to attend a face-to-face meeting at the office with your solicitor, you are required to produce the same documents listed for UK clients in items 1. and 2. above.

Clients Non-Resident in the UK or EU

Special requirements apply which depends on the individual circumstances of your case. A minimum requirement would be a certified copy of your passport from a local lawyer together with a reference from a known financial institution, for example a bank.