Previous News


Can I change my child’s name without the father’s permission?

Added by Berlad Graham
May 31, 2023

Share this Post

Both parents, or persons with parental responsibility, have to give their consent to a change of name. If they refuse and the refusal is unreasonable, then you can apply to the court for a Specific Issue Order and the court will decide.

Speak to a member of our family team who will guide you further. Please call on 0330 175 5655 or email




Our team of lawyers are members of Resolution’s Specialist Accreditation Scheme and the Law Society’s Family Law Advanced Panel. They are committed to providing the highest levels of practical assistance to achieve a positive outcome that is sustainable for all the family.